I Made the Life I was Dreaming of My Actual Life

 So let me talk about my move to Hawaii and what it is all about. If you are new here, I am 55 years old, mother of 4 grown kids and grandma to 6. After 23 years of marriage, I decided that I needed a life. A happy life. I was tired and unhappy and decided it was ok to put myself first. 

Now, I did not just leave my life and move to paradise. I spent about 13 years getting my degree from Southern New Hampshire University online while I worked full time. I moved to michigan and I also built my career. I work for Little Unicorn and I love my job and the company. I will get into that in another post because it deserves its own post. 


After my kids were married and settled and done with school, I decided that I was going to build a life for myself. A single woman in her 50's can start over. I spent a few months selling everything and I mean..everything. I sold my car, my clothes,my dishes, books, my furniture, all of it. I looked online and found a place to move to. 6 weeks later, I was on a plane with my little dog and a few suitcases. I moved to Waikiki. Getting my dog here also deserves a post of its own and I will do that too. 


Why Hawaii? I love it. I always have. The weather, the culture, the relaxed way of life. I have known at some point i would move here. I kept thinking I wanted to get here before I was too old to do the things here that I enjoy. If it didn't work, if I hated it, if I was lonely, I would move back to the mainland. So far, I do not see that happening. 

I remember that first night (October 2021) lying in my bed and thinking " I did it. I followed my dream. I trusted myself". I felt empowered and accomplished and proud. I had taken the leap and landed rightside up. I slowly began to meet people, to make friends. I moved to a newer and nicer building in April of 2022 and life blossomed. 

 The Building that I live in is what anyone would dream of with a move to Oahu. Lilia Waikiki is amazing, beautiful and filled with friends that are family to me now. I feel at home here. I love my apartment and all of the things I have purchased for this little studio that I adore.  

Everyone asked me how I was going to furnish and buy all the things I needed. ummm AMAZON ships to Hawaii and most Amazon Prime arrives in less than 5 days. It is worth it..I live in freaking Hawaii! 

Some of the first things I bought were my glass top desk that I love. It is a great size and everyone who walks in comments on it. I love it.  My rattan Sideboard Buffet Cabinet which is the center of my living area is a favorite. It took me about 3 hours to put together but I did it, alone and I felt accomplished! I knew I wanted great pool towels. Afterall, my building is like a resort and I could not go down to the pool with tacky towels. I researched and decided on Turkish Towels for the pool. They dry so fast here which is crucial. They are soft and look high end which was my goal. They come in a zillion colors but my place is very neutral and I loved the sand color and went with those. I sold my dishes and needed to order some but cabinet realestate is valuable in my small place. I decided to go with a multi use Large Pasta Bowl set that functions as a bowl and a plate. I have loved them and they look so nice in my home. White dishes are basic but my mom always told me that food looks prettier on them and she is right. Skip the patterned dishes for your everyday set. 

So life..it is good and I am so happy. I feel like a new person. I have become a new person. I moved here unhappy and overweight and depressed. I did not even realize I was missing joy until I felt is flood into my life and now I need it. If you are feeling that you need a change, take stock of your life. Make lists and spreadsheets and whatever else you need to do to make it work for you. It is ok to put yourself first. It is ok to want things for yourself. Being selfish means putting yourself first. It is not always negative. It might be a new job, a new home, a new friend or a move to paradise. Life happens too quickly and if you do not make the life you want to lead, nobody will. You can do it. I did it and I have never regretted it. The photo below shows how happiness can make you look and feel more alive.The left was taken 3 days after I got here and the right side is me now. I look happier. I am happier. 

We have the right to happiness.

 Find it and make it yours. 





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Missing people and the feelings that childhood brings

IT HAS BEEN A LONG TIME...